Thursday 5 October 2017

Drift


'Drift', the second LP by The Apartments, originally released in 1992, has recently been re-issued on vinyl by the French label Talitres. As always on occasions such as this, I do a double-take at the date - 1992? Have I really had 'Drift' in my collection for 25 years? Following a flurry of activity in the mid-90s, The Apartments all but disappeared following 1997's 'Apart', fully re-emerging in 2015 with their frankly magnificent 7th LP, 'No Song, No Spell, No Madrigal'.

The band's one constant member, Peter Milton Walsh, has previously served time in both The Laughing Clowns and The Go-Betweens and if you have even a passing interest in either of those fine combos, I would heartily commend 'Drift' (and indeed all of the other six Apartments albums) to your ears.


5 comments:

Old Pa's Corner said...

Not familiar with Apartments Ts, but I am now...love it, great voice.

The Swede said...

Great to hear from you Old Pa. I hope all is well with you.

Brian said...

Swede, I certainly know Walsh's name from popping up on those early singles from the Go-Betweens, but I don't have anything by the Apartments. Seems like a perfect time to rectify the situation. Thanks for the heads up. Should I start with Drift, then? These two songs are very good.

The Swede said...

A very difficult question Brian, they're all great, but I'm particularly fond of 'A Life Full Of Farewells' and 'Fête Foraine'.

Brian said...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Greatest Hits