Thursday 19 November 2015

Come Here

Do me a favour. If, on your travels through thrift stores and flea markets in the States or charity shops and car-boot sales in the UK, you happen to stumble upon a reasonably priced LP by Kath Bloom and Loren MazzaCane Connors (any one of 'em), please clutch it close to your chest, hand over the necessary spondoolicks to the cashier, run home and contact me immediately - I'll see you right. Folk singer/songwriter Bloom and outsider guitarist Connors released half a dozen LPs together between 1981 and 1984, each in minutely limited quantities. I held one of those precious records in my sweaty hands once, about 15 years ago while in New York, and it was priced at over $200 then. These days, original releases from their slim catalogue turn up now and again on popular auction sites and can still command three figure sums, despite a couple of CD reissues in the intervening years.


The music Bloom and Connors made together was a frail avant-garde-freak-folk, breathtaking in its intimacy. If you know one song by Kath Bloom, it'll be the wonderful 'Come Here', which featured prominently in the 1995 film, 'Before Sunrise'. 'Come Here' was re-recorded for the film by Kath, following a long period spent away from the music scene, raising her family. The original appeared on 'Moonlight', her final collaboration with Connors in 1984. Compare and contrast the two versions.



The story of this great song doesn't quite end there though. There exists an even earlier distant cousin to 'Come Here', entitled 'Come Here My Sweetest One'. It isn't the same song, though there are obvious themes that link the two. It's a thing of desolate beauty.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do you find 'em? I thought I was reasonably well versed in some of the odder outposts of music but I've nothing on you, sir. These chaps sound quite spiffing with things going on that remind me of various others but an overall sound of their own. Unfortunately, I had to turn the up-date of 'Come Here' off as it seemed, to my ears, to be a lesson in how production can truly f*** up a fine song. Thanks for the tip but I doubt I'll ever own one of their originals!

Old Pa's Corner said...

Well I'm with SB there where do you find them that was magnificent. Have you heard the 18 CD set yet of you know what! I have skipped through it but it will certainly take a bit of time....I think us fans have already heard the best before but great to finally get it ball in great quality.

Anonymous said...

Old Pa: You have the 18 disc set??? Wow. Bows in awe.

The Swede said...

Singing Bear. The success of the re-recording of 'Come Here' set Kath up financially after some difficult times, so I'm very pleased it happened. I do know what you mean though, it's a bit smooth after hearing the original. There is quite a lot of Bloom/Connor's back catalogue scattered around YouTube and Spotify now. It's well worth investigating.

Old Pa. I've made do with the 6 disc set and just downloaded Disc 18 (the hotel tapes) from the large box. It's all wonderful stuff. What next - Blood on the Tracks sessions?

Anonymous said...

The Swede: I wonder what is still in the can that we haven't heard from the BOTT sessions? If there are hidden gems, then bring it on, otherwise I'd put in a bid for 'Supper Club' or some Gospel tour stuff.

The Swede said...

There must be rich pickings to be had from the Gospel period I reckon.

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing Mr. S - downloaded Disc 18 and settled for the 6-CD set. I'd love to hear the entire Collector's Box, but laying out $600 now would cause some grumbling from (ahem) my long-suffering partner. I may gradually fill in the holes via iTunes once I've digested what I already have.

I'll let you know if I come across a reasonably priced copy of the Bloom and Connors LP in the shops here.

The Swede said...

Thanks Marie. It's a long shot, but I thought I'd mention it!

Greatest Hits