Saturday 24 October 2015

Clean Up Woman


During the 1970's and 1980's, Radio 1 broadcast their own version of the venerable Radio 4 staple 'Desert Island Discs', re-christened 'My Top Ten'. It was a programme aimed squarely at the young music-loving fraternity, where the weekly guest (normally a pop or TV star) would choose his or her ten favourite records and chat a little about their life in the spotlight. Marc Bolan appeared on the show in 1973 - I've still got a tape of the show in a box somewhere. Tellingly, he selected a track by Gloria Jones among his ten. We didn't know it at the time, but he and her were about to become a public item. Also on Bolan's playlist that day was 'Clean Up Woman' by Betty Wright, a single taken from her second LP, 'I Love the Way You Love'. Apparently Marc was so enamoured of the song that he gave a copy to Noddy Holder, suggesting that Slade record a version of it. That would've been an interesting cover.


9 comments:

Walter said...

You're right - that would be a very interesting cover by Slade a band that I loved in my very youngest times.

Old Pa's Corner said...

They would have to change the title to Cleeen up Woman....Bob concert reports so far look promising...will look forward to your reports!!!

Charity Chic said...

A great record.One which would have been fun to hear Noddy sing

Anonymous said...

Marc had great taste.

drew said...

Love Betty Wright

George said...

Fine fine record, and also a shame that Slade never recorded cleeeeeen up wooooomun

Anonymous said...

An old favourite, Mr. S! It really takes me back to my first job at a record shop for some reason.

John Medd said...

Remember when Noddy & Jim played at being Django & Stephane - Kill 'Em At THe Hot Club Tonite? I reckon they could've tackled Clean Up Woman in a similar style.

The Swede said...

I must dig out the cassette of the show to remind myself of the rest of Bolan's selections. ' Kill 'Em At The Hot Club Tonite'? My favourite Slade track.

Greatest Hits