Friday 6 June 2014

Feed the Birds




Here's Mum, aged 15, enthusiastically feeding pigeons near Trafalgar Square. The year was 1948 and the horrors of war were a fading memory, with the promise of good times just around the corner. Dad was just around the corner too. My parents met within two years of this photo being taken and courted for the next five, before marrying in 1955.

18 years later, at the same location, I'm not nearly so confident. Note the big empty space around me. Those pigeons could sense that I wasn't keen. Dad tried every trick in the book to make me interact with the blighters, but I was having none of it.

5 comments:

C said...

Fabulous photos. How wonderful to have one of your mum at 15 - and your expression is priceless.
The pigeons all look healthy in those photos - the last few times I was down in London I was surprised to see how many have deformities, although they seem to cope very well!

Anonymous said...

Love the contrasting attitudes of your mum and your good self. As much as I love birds, I think it wise to keep pigeons at a distance - too flappy. Nice one from RT.

Erik Bartlam said...

That a delightful picture of your mother...yers is a'ight too.

I think you're on to something though...flying rats.

Is that the invisible man stalking your mother?

John Medd said...

Here's my mum in Trafalgar Square c.1955. It's right what they say, there's nothing new under the sun.

Old Pa's Corner said...

Great photos TS...you mum was a bit of a looker...another year later and I was born!

Greatest Hits