Saturday 9 November 2013

Version City #19 - Hamadth Kah sings The Police

For the past couple of days I've been immersed in the varied musics of West Africa, courtesy of Sahel Sounds. The label's output is diverse, ranging from raw, atmospheric field recordings to pitch-bending, auto-tuned experimentation and beyond. The best stuff is very good indeed and I'll be featuring more in the future, that's for sure.


For now, here's a familiar tune by Hamadth Kah, taken from the 'Laila Je T'Aime' compilation of field recordings.



As a bonus, my favourite cut from the same LP, the mesmerising 'Kaounare' by Alkibar Gignor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The version of the Police song is definitely preferable to the original but I must say the second instrumental is the one for me. What's that thing that sounds like an old Appalachian fiddle?

Old Pa's Corner said...

raw beauty caught, both great but second one is so good!

The Swede said...

There are a number of Alkibar Gignor recordings on the label, ranging from acoustic grooves like this one to full blown electric workouts. I feel like I've stumbled onto a treasure trove.

Greatest Hits